Once upon a time in Miège
At the beginning of our story, in 1226, Miège (Miesen in German) was written Mieio. In 1444 it was Miegio, and then in 1554 it became Miezoz, the name still used in the local dialect, meaning «in the middle of the mountain».
The earliest records of the village date from the 13th century, but its oldest buildings date from the late 15th century. Miège’s history is interwoven with that of the Valais canton.
In Miège, life depended on the harvests, which were often unpredictable. The main crops were cereals such as wheat, rye and barley. It was hard work, and the soil on the small plots lost its fertility. From the 13th century onwards, forges became established in the village. The oldest of these, situated at the entrance to the village, gave the area the name «Les Faverges».
As time went by, vines became increasingly predominant on the scattered plots of land, which were difficult to reach.
These plots were consolidated in 1973, a historic year for the Miège vine-growing area.
Find more information on Miège !